Monday 14 March 2011

Almost one week later ... Monday 14th March 2011

Hello all, at last some spring weather has arrived, afternoons in positive temperatures and sunshine. We have been busy looking at apartments but nothing suitable so far. It turns out the 'preference' for a pool is really a priority! We now have an agent to help with the looking which will reduce the anxiety levels. Up til now we've been going round, me smiling and vague looking, Eamonn armed with notebook and pen. Our agent is the wife of the chap who is letting this apartment to Carillion; she's really nice and lives around here so has intimate local knowledge and has helped other Carillion people. Eamonn's at his first day of work and it's gone ok so far, plenty of more admin. Tomorrow we both have the day to organise Social Insurance numbers and driving licences. Eamonn will then spend the rest of the week visiting the main sites here. He should be home by 5 today!

As you can see we went to their St. Patrick's Day Parade yesterday downtown. It was good fun but very cold. I have actually been downstairs to the supermarket on my own for the first time and have actually used Canadian cash. Those of you who know me know that I am like the Queen, I don't carry cash abroad in my case so it's years since I've shopped independently outside the UK - pathetic I know but it's laziness really. So I've crossed that hurdle. The clocks went forward one hour this weekend too so now we're only 4 hours behind you until your clocks change again then we go back to 5 hours behind.

I've been skyping to a couple of you and that's fantastic, it really reduces the miles. At the moment I'm waiting for the plumber to come and fix one of the loos - yes at least we have a spare - so I'm a bit cooped up. I hear spring is really sprung at home, so I hope you all have time to get out and enjoy it.
Bye from the tower for now,
Love,
Mary xx

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are very busy! Keep smiling and good luck with the search for an apartment. Cold here today but sunny and spring like. Spent about 2hrs in a Senior Management meeting today going through the SEF.......which was fun! St Patrick's Day Parade there looks good. Was it a big celebration? Hope you are both well and settling in ok. Sounds like you are getting there....xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicky, I'm sorry I've only just seen this, still not sure what I'm doing! Oh the thrills of interminable pointless meetings - stuff that could be done in half the time. Everyone here thinks they're Irish to some degree, not as big a deal as in NY. Off out exploring today. More soon. xx

    ReplyDelete